You are in the right place to find out how I travel for free. There is no mystery, it is all very transparent, but don’t trust me, try it out and let me know how it works for you.
HOW DID I TRAVEL FOR FREE SO FAR
I participate in all sort of online competitions, challenges, giveaways etc. Where do I find those? On Facebook, Twitter, HeySuccess etc.
- I won Austrian Airlines Global Blogger Challenge with my story in June 2014. I got to be in top 8 thanks to Facebook and Instagram votes from my online friends. I ended up in finals for 5 days NYC live-blogging challenge where I beat my competition and won 80.000 miles to travel the world for free! This is how I usually cover my flights.
- I won Wow Air Iceland Challenge and went to Iceland with my best friend completely for free. We had paid flights, accommodation, and food and on top of that, we got vouchers for Blue Lagoon, Jökulsárlón (glacier river lagoon) and we explored the beautiful city of Reykjavik and caught Northern Lights along the way. This trip was a dream come true, and all I had to do when I saw it on HeySuccess was pick where I would like to go if I visited Iceland and whom I would bring with me. I composed my wish list, shared it on Facebook and I was the person via who’s link most people found out about the challenge and enrolled. Read the Iceland story here.
- I won FlyDubai tickets for business class and flew like a girl boss in January 2013! Flying in business class does have its perks and those are unlimited snacks and tomato juice with pepper! I bet you didn’t expect to hear that.
- In January 2013 I was invited to visit Israel with the Israel Tourism Organisations and I got to experience the best of Tel Aviv, Haifa, Jerusalem and the Dead Sea for 7 days. My stories from Israel were featured in leading Serbian magazines and I wrote my Tel Aviv Guide on the blog.
- In November 2013 I visited Montenegro, Podgorica, Budva, Tivat, Mrtvica Canyon, Perast, Skadar Lake, Ulcinj, Rijeka Crnojevica and blogged about it live from the spot. Expenses were fully covered by the Tourism Organisation of Montenegro and you can read those stories here.
- In January 2017 I visited Thailand with Thailand Tourism Authority and I got to experience Bangkok, Chiang Rai, and Chiang Mai. I brought my friend Nada FITT with me. We stayed at W Hotel Bangkok and Four Seasons Tented Camp Resort in Chiang Rai. Read about my stay here.
- In February 2017 I was invited as a blogger to visit Abu Dhabi with Tourism Organisation of Abu Dhabi and they organized a trip to the dessert, Pearl Journey, Falcon hospital, Yas Island trips and we stayed in wonderful St.Regis Hotel in Abu Dhabi. Air Serbia covered the flight costs. Story on how to spend 3 magnificent days in Abu Dhabi here.
Now let’s talk about ways in which you can travel for free!
Why not find an internship in a volunteering organization that needs people with your skill set? Why not contribute to a great cause and have fun along the way? There are so many opportunities for people who want to work in organic farms, summer camps for children, summer schools etc.
TEACH A FOREIGN LANGUAGE
If you are lucky enough to know English, French, Spanish or some other language very well, why not travel the world to help others learn it as well and get the free accommodation and food along the way. There are so many summer schools that could use your help. How about helping impoverished children in Africa learn English and give them the opportunity to learn and read and acquire knowledge even when you’re back home. Why not change someone’s life with your skill and make a contribution to our world? Check out exchange programs in your country or talk to the local embassies about teaching a foreign language abroad.
LOVE PETS? HOUSE SITTING MIGHT BE YOUR OPTION!
Why not make an account on this website and stay at someone’s amazing house taking care of their dogs while they’re away.On another website, you will need to pay a membership on this website but it definitely pays off if you love animals. Don’t worry, if you don’t like pets, you can just keep an eye on someone’s house for 2 weeks or more. A couple did just that and they wrote a book about it! Check out their blog for inspiration or download their ebook!
WANT TO SEE EXOTIC ISLANDS? WORK ON A CRUISER!
You love to travel and you’re good with people? Have some bartending experience? Working on a cruiser might be a great option for you! You will get accommodation and food and will get to experience exotic islands you could only dream about. Make sure to ask around and find out what exactly you need to have in order to get this job.
LOVE KIDS? BECOME AN AU-PAIR!
If you love working and playing with children, you can become an au-pair and go to a foreign country of your choice. You will get accommodation and food and a little salary to keep you going. You can also learn a new language while you’re there. Here’s a website to get you started Au Pair World You will get to know the local language, custom, and tradition and experience the culture first hand.
LOVE ADVENTURE? BECOME AN INSTRUCTOR!
If you’re into water-sport or winter-sports, the Adventure Work might be the best option for you. You can apply to be a lifeguard, ski instructor, diving instructor or an event manager.
LOVE GOOD STORIES? CROWDRISE
If you have a talent for storytelling, the passion that keeps you up late at night and you have the power motivate the community of crowd rise, you can fund your dream to come true. You just need a good cause and a compelling story to tell and the possibilities are endless.
Secret Flying is finding you cheap flight deals around the world and posting them all day on their Facebook feed! Hopper – Airfare Predictions is a great app to give a try next time you fly! Let’s not forget the good old Sky Scanner. Open Miles and More card and collect points when you travel Lufthansa, Austrian Airlines, Swiss. Become a WizzAir member and get all the discounts, special offers etc.to your email. Try using Google Flights, a great tool that will show you cheapest prices that month. Do this in advance, the more flexible you are, cheaper your ticket can get. Skipplegged has the amazing community that helps you find craziest deals ever. Their mission is to make it easier to experience the world, so they find flights that cost up to 80% less than the cheapest on any other website!
HOW DO I GO FROM ONE CITY TO ANOTHER BY CAR?
I either rent a car or buy a bus or train ticket. One good free option requires following conferences that are in nearby cities to where you are staying since the possibility of someone car pulling is gonna be much higher that way 😉 I always find free transport via my Twitter account.